In year 2 we focus on the sacrament of Baptism and encourage the children to bring in special items from their own baptism (We can receive these by email or photograph/copy them as we know how special they are).
In year 3 we focus on the sacrament of Penance/ Reconciliation. None of us are perfect and we will make mistakes- its important to own these mistakes and think about what you could do next time. Its also important that we show empathy and say sorry when we have done wrong.
Baptism is a special meeting with Jesus when people are welcomed into the Church
The rite, the rituals and symbols of Baptism
Baptism makes people holy and is a symbol of cleansing
Baptism helps people share in the life of the Trinity
Baptism helps people share in God’s holiness - tapu and mana
The Sacrament of Penance restores friendship with God and others
People receive forgiveness and healing and peace through Jesus
by recognising their sins and saying sorry in the Sacrament of Penance
The important parts of the Rite of the Sacrament of Penance
Understanding what personal sin is, taking responsibility for it and expressing sorrow
Understanding what healing and growth means and how the Sacrament of Penance helps this
Sin violates tapu and causes hurt to others and this is restored by reconciliation
Through the Sacrament of Penance people make peace with God and with each other
Times of praying for forgiveness and saying sorry during the celebration of the Eucharist
1. Grace is God's love and strength working with us and the world.
2. Sacraments bring grace.
3. Know the seven sacraments.
4. Know the signs and symbols of the sacraments
Tongan Translation: The Sacrament Stand- Ko e afo ‘o e Sakalameta
1) Grace is God's love and strength working with us and the world.- Ko e Kalāsia ko e ‘ofa ia ‘a e ‘Otua mo ‘ene ivi ngaue ‘ia kitautolu pea mo mamani.
2) Sacraments bring grace. Ko e ngaahi Sakalameta ‘oku ne foaki ai ‘ene kalāsia
3) Know the seven sacraments. Ke ‘ilo’i e ngaahi Sakalameta ‘e fitu.
4) Know the signs and symbols of the sacraments- Ke ‘ilo’i e ngaahi faka’ilonga mo e fakatatā ‘o e ngaahi Sakalameta.
Tagalog Translation (Filipino): Ang Hibla ng Sakramento
1. Ang grasya ay pagmamahal at lakas ng Diyos sa atin.
2. Ang mga sakramento ay nagdadala ng grasya.
3. Alamin ang pitong sakramento.
4. Alamin ang senyas at simbolo ng mga sakramento.